I think that I mentioned last week that Pamela gave me the FCD Stamp Set "Forgive Me" to work with this month. I love it! And I decided to REALLY get my hands messy this week.
It's been a while since I sat and just made my own background panels. I made them in several colors today. I set these panels aside for future use. I love texture and doing this gives me a break from working with patterned paper and gives my pieces a more distressed look. Here is a close-up.
I started with watercolor paper I cut into 4.5" x 6" panels (it was sold 9 x 12"). I pulled out some vintage paper from an 1920's music magazine. It includes some actual music pages and some article pages. Next I gathered glazes (translucent paint) and crackle paint. I have a few Golden Glazes I learned about taking a local class, but once I found out I could mix my own, I stopped buying them. There is an acrylic glazing medium (also made by Golden) you can purchase to mix with inexpensive acrylic paint and this is a much cheaper way to go. I glued my vintage paper over the watercolor paper then began brushing the glazes on. The glazes have a longer "open" time, so you can use a paper towel to wipe it off if needed. Why a glaze? Because it allows part of what is under it to show through (the vintage paper) and enable you to build a collage. Then I applied a coordinating color of crackle paint. I'm very impatient, so I used a blow dryer to speed along the drying processs and this gave me some control of keeping the paper flat. (the ones I left unattended roled up as the crackle medium dryed). Then I set the panels aside for future use. I can layer on more paper, paint, or ink when I begin to design the project. You may remember me mentioning that I had done this process before but threw the panels in the bottom of a tall box and sprayed with Glimmer Mist (I usually start by brushing on a color first), sprinkles on distress embossing powder, while they were still wet, and then heat embossed. I added a little crackle paint to some of these as well. I have had alot of fun using them and thought it was about time to make some more. To finish off my background for this card I distressed it with some Versa Magic Pumpkin Spice Ink. I added Fun Flock to the center of the flowers to add more texture. I stamped the flowers more of the vintage paper, but when I went to color them the print started to run, so I sprayed them with "Work Fixative" (you can get it at a local craft store that sells artist supplies). Then I was able to color them with my copics.
Well I hope yo forgive me for such a long post. So much to tell you though! Have a great Sunday!